ABA Resources for Recovery from Autism/PDD/HyperlexiaDevelopmental evaluation and childhood screening

Get professional input - always helpful, and essential if you plan to use special education services

A complete developmental evaluation is essential if you suspect your child has autism or a related disorder. You may get a diagnosis, and more important, recommendations for intervention. If the evaluator indicates an ABA program is appropriate, that opinion may be critical to your child's future. Waiting lists for the most helpful professionals can be very long, so make an appointment right away!

Evaluations may be performed or diagnoses delivered by practitioners in many professions, including psychologists, psychiatrists, speech-language pathologists, pediatricians, neurologists, occupational therapists, even social workers and educational administrators! In my experience, the most reliable single source of complete and accurate information about your child is a clinical neuropsychologist. He may also observe and evaluate your child's current or proposed educational program--a service just as essential in securing the right program.

In the USA (and probably some other countries) you have the right to an independent evaluation (you select the evaluator) paid by the school system. The results must be considered by the special education team.

Not all professionals are aware of ABA, and some may have "philosophical" objections, so it is important to get referrals from other parents whose children have benefited from the recommendations of an evaluator. It may be especially important to get an evaluation from a professional who is not closely associated with any school system. Parents report again and again hearing "I can't really recommend a specific program like that for you because it would get me into trouble with the schools I work with." (At least some people are honest!)

  Site index  Back to top

This document is rsaffran.tripod.com/evaluation.html, updated Sunday, 22-Dec-2013 14:14:45 EST

Copy? right! 1998-2098 All content written by me may be redistributed provided (1) my text is not substantially altered and (2) my authorship is clearly attributed. Copyright otherwise remains with original authors. How to link to this site

This is a resource guide only, not therapeutic, diagnostic, medical, or legal advice. I am not endorsing any individual, organization, product, or service mentioned here, nor do my opinions represent their views. The information provided is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician or other service providers. Site privacy practices